Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The first day of winter

Yesterday was the 1st of June - the first day, officially, of our Southern hemisphere winter. 
I had a "personal day" away from school; it was a perfect clear blue-sky day, and I took my 
camera along on a bit of a road trip.


It was very low tide at the inlet where I stopped for a late lunch


boats waited in line for the tide to come in


 

I stopped near a small bridge. There was colour at the side of the road


and in the sunlight through the trees


but the trees by the river know what season it is


At my final stop the tide was starting to come in, and keen fishermen 
were putting their boats into the water



a shag watched the activity

until I came too close


by now the light was getting low; time for me to head home.


"Don't be fooled by the calendar. There are only as many 
days in the year as you make use of."  ~ Charles Richards

7 comments:

  1. Cool series of pictures, and nice story to go with it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Alexia if only my first day of winter could look like this! What stunning photos (all of them) and your telling of the day bit by bit...I'm going to scan the photos one more time ....this made for a lovely tour of your stunning city! Thanks so much for sharing....!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny but the second picture reminds me slightly of a tree we have...lightning struck it once (okay maybe twice) and we have chopped away most of the dead area, but there is so much more of the tree still living I just won't let it be cut down...even at the protest of any snobby non-tree-lover...if there's life there's beauty...long live this tree I say...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm still waiting for the first day of summer here! Our spring has been cold and rainy. All the flowers bloomed in the back yard and it was too cold to sit out and enjoy them! Oh, well, I'm sure we will have plenty of warm days to enjoy.

    Great photos!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Some of those are really striking.

    It doesn't look like winter's creeping up too close just yet, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Today has been horribly cold and wet, so I spoke too soon! Knew I was tempting fate.:)

    I hope you get some lovely warm days soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow!! beautiful pictures! it FEELS crisp!
    what a perfect way to spend your personal day! (and thanks for taking your camera along!!)
    thanks for the walk....

    ReplyDelete

It's great when you leave a note!