Friday, January 6, 2012

Books of 2011

Last year I was determined to keep a track of all of the books I read. This is a break-down of the genres; it's possible I may have forgotten to keep note of a few, but this is more or less right:


My two top picks of the year would be:

Caleb's Crossing, by Geraldine Brooks, a fictional account based on a real person - the first Native American to graduate from Havard, in  1665. This was a stunning novel which was beautifully realised and kept my interest all the way through, even though I am not usually a great reader of historical novels.

and:

The Hare with Amber Eyes, by Edmund de Waal, an astonishing, beautiful and uplifting
account of the author's search to find out about his family's history.
This is one of the best books I've read in a very long time.

8 comments:

  1. You need to meet Kathleen... look in her left-hand sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what were some of your favorite titles??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books are an obsession of mine. A woman I worked with had a stroke and lost her ability to read and write - or to relearn those skills. I thought then, and still think, that her loss was huge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a spiffy chart!
    How clever of you!
    I've never even thought to break down my lists by genres.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jennifer - thanks for the link - I don't think I'm in her league, though!

    Galen - thanks for the question - I've added my top 2!

    EC - reading is my obsession - how awful it would be to lose the ability to read!

    Lisa - thanks - I pilfered the idea from The Sleepless Reader

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for those tips, Alexia.

    I used to read books all the time, but the internet age has cut down on my reading of items written on paper.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...what would we do without our books? I always like your input on things you've read.....I kind of miss Writer's reviews as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, and I pilfered it from you -- but I can't make a spiffy chart like yours, so I just did a tally. Still, I found a few surprises because of doing that.

    ReplyDelete

It's great when you leave a note!