Saturday, November 12, 2011

At the Art Gallery

Yesterday, finally, I made the trip to Auckland to see the newly-revamped City Art Gallery
(I wanted to wait until the Rugby World Cup was over
and there weren't crowds of tourists around).
They have redecorated the old building beautifully, but the most stunning feature is the see-through glass atrium which is full height,
and which brings the park on the hillside right indoors.

The most stunning new work is this enormous kinetic floral sculpture, the flowers of which gently open and close randomly. LED lights in and around the blooms illuminate it at night.

This work, by Choi Jeong Hwa of South Korea, is called Flower Chandelier, and was specifically designed for the Gallery's north atrium. It is clearly visible from the street outside, brightening up even an overcast spring day, as this one was:

Another work by the same artist, Red, occupies the reflection pool in the forecourt at the front entrance to the Gallery.


A feature I found really lovely was the wooden roof and overarching "awning" as you approach the doors:


And what is there to see inside? That will have to wait for another post.

11 comments:

  1. Thank you so much. If that is a sample of the calibre of the other art works inside I will be more than ready for your next post. I love the flowers that can be seen from the outside as well and that wood work was amazing. As was the atrium, and I loved Red too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks very stunning. I am passing through Auckland Airport next April. If I had a few more hours to spare there, I would head off down to have a look- but time will be too short.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That floral sculpture was stunning. We love going to museums and galleries.
    I've never been to one that didn't change me in some way.
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. gorgeous flower sculptures!!
    and the Red...so powerful!
    i can only imagine what they must look like at night...with the little LED's twinkling...
    can't wait to see MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm always excited to see your posts, and the photos and wisdom or information you share. You have certainly discovered a fantastic building to shoot to your/our hearts content. I couldn't imagine being the one to clean those windows though! What stunning artwork! Thanks for sharing Alexia, I just about felt like being there myself! Please!!!!! don't let your busy school days or is it your lovely weather keeping you from sharing such lovely posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful, just beautiful. Looks like the kind of place that, no matter how bad things were, you just couldn't help feeling good, peaceful. Great pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome shots! That's some amazing stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, I want to visit this exhibit!
    Beautiful! Thanks for the great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for visiting, and for your kind words.

    And Karen: I haven't been posting much lately, I know - too much stuff going on. But don't give up on me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How gorgeous. I can't even begin to choose a favorite. What a delightful place to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh never worry Alexia, I'll just check on you here if you're away too long without posting! I still can't get over how lovely these photos are...the colors are just simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

It's great when you leave a note!