Friday, January 14, 2011

Thematic Photographic 130: Far from Home


I'm a Taurean (not that I take any notice of that stuff....). We bulls are supposed to be homebodies, preferring to stay ensconced in our little cocoons. I do love my home, but the last little while I've rediscovered the joys of travelling, and I plan to do a LOT more.

Because I can.
While I can.

From a trip in 2004 when I took some 16 and 17 year old students to Shanghai:

 Our usual breakfast in the dormitory we were staying at. In the bowl is a very runny rice porridge. The dumplings were yummy!
  
 An English classroom - a little different from my one. There were about 40 kids in the class - 14 year-olds. It was all rote learning - repeating words, as a group, over and over. My kids couldn't believe how dull and boring it was. I threatened to teach them like that when we got home...
 
 School assembly. Complete with bands and marchpasts.

 A visit to a park. A reasonable request, I feel.


:)

It was a great experience - and looking out these photos brought back some great memories. Thanks, Carmi! 
Join in our Thematic Photographic fun here.

9 comments:

  1. nice travelogue. i find it interesting that the signs all had english for translations.

    i never would have thought that would be the case.

    Bruce
    bruce johnson jadip
    evilbruce
    stupid stuff i see and hear
    Bruce’s guy book
    the guy book
    Dreamodel Guy
    dreamodeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's one of the great things about Thematic Photographic - getting the chance to visit old pictures and revive old memories. Thanks for the peek into your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "for the sake of life"
    I love translations...

    enjoyed your far from home photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so interesting!! love your pic's!

    especially the one with all the signs...'clouds melted in tea fragrance' - i want to go there!! sounds wonderful!

    and the sign to not climb trees or pick flowers for the sake of life!! another sign worthy of a picture!
    nice memories....
    thanks!! and happy travels!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Alexia for such a wonderful journey far away from home, and simply far away! Very interesting trip you had....fulfilling and lovely....each photo is fantastic as I knew they would be....love the street sign at the end...nice touch! as for being a Taurus, my father was too....and he was a great man, and quite interesting too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. You took students to China? I'm impressed. I'm not sure I'd take that risk -- especially since I, too, have been to China.
    (All my China photos are on film, though.)

    Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonder of wonders, I got a stylish blogger award. I am passing it on to you because I love your blog. See my recent post for the list with your blog on it!

    So here are the rules for acceptance of the award:

    1. Thank and link back to the person who awarded you this award.
    2. Share 7 things about yourself.
    3. Award 5 recently discovered great bloggers.
    4. Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award.

    There is a button that goes with the award. If you want to put it on your blog, you can go to the blogger who gave me the award and see if you can get the button there. www.mamapikeshappyhome.blogspot.com Frankly, I can't figure it out, so sorry I can't be of more help.

    Enjoy!

    Galen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whenever I travel, I think I need to take you along to point out how to take the most compelling pictures of the experience.

    These are wonderfully resonant!

    ReplyDelete

It's great when you leave a note!