Saturday, March 5, 2016

Road Tripping

Last week I drove down to New Plymouth, one of my favourite parts of the country.

I particularly wanted to see the new exterior of the city's Art Gallery, which has a permanent collection featuring the work of Len Lye, a kinetic sculptor and film-maker who was born in New Zealand but died an American citizen.

The exterior is astonishing, brilliant even on a grey day:











It was just as interesting inside, with the light coming in from the reflective panels:








One of the exhibition halls. The filaments all move and change position, creating a play
of sound as well as light.






8 comments:

  1. Oh how beautiful.
    That would have been an incredible treat. Thank you so much for sharing the magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was certainly a highlight of the trip! But I did carry on down to Wellington for a few days, and saw more lovely things.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is absolutely fantastic, thunder. I took so many photos!

      Delete
  3. That's brilliant, the outside and the inside, and the filaments. I'd love to hear them, as they move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the most interesting buildings I've ever seen, Strayer :)

      Delete
  4. Absolutely gorgeous! I'd love to walk through there.

    ReplyDelete

It's great when you leave a note!