Sunday, February 14, 2016

A walk in the garden


Over the Christmas/New Year period I had to take one of our clients (I work for St John) over to Hamilton for dialysis several times. This always involves a very early start and then a wait of 5 - 6 hours before we head back home.

On the day after Boxing Day I had delivered her by 8.00 am, and I headed for the Hamilton Gardens, one of the most beautiful public gardens in this country. It was still lovely and cool, with a haze to the sky which would clear later to produce a blistering hot day.

Click on the photos to see them in more detail.




Part of the entrance-way:




You can visit a number of walled gardens reflecting the style of various countries. 
Romulus and Remus are outside the Italian garden:




A section of the colourful Indian garden:




Part of the lake in the Japanese garden:




A corner of the English garden:




And the way into the Maori food garden:




I loved this Alice in Wonderland sculpture:




On my way to the rose gardens, the colours of this bank of hydrangeas 
(not my favourite flowers) blew me away:




Of the roses, I really liked these three:

Typhoon


Lillian Austin


Eye of the Tiger





I really enjoyed my walk in the cool morning air, and a cup of 
good coffee on a deck overlooking the river:







"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need"
~ Cicero

9 comments:

  1. Thank you.
    Gardens are a solace for my soul - and I loved the ones you shared.
    I agree with you about hydrangeas too. Not one of my favourites, but that was an amazing bank of them - in a colour I haven't seen.
    I have that Cicero quote as a fridge magnet. Twice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great quote, isn't it? I have a book of favourite quotations which I started when I was 16 - I added that quote on December 12th 1968.

      Delete
  2. Pretty flowers!

    I was just shoveling snow. I'll have to go back out in a couple hours, it's coming down even faster now.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the third rose, the Eye of the Tiger. Beautiful. Maori food garden entrance is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That rose was astonishing - the bush was covered with flowers, all in different colour variations.

      Delete
  4. How wonderful to see photos of warm, green, and growing things. I especially love the photo of the peach-colored rose - that is one of my favorite colors. All those garden styles are lovely.

    ReplyDelete

It's great when you leave a note!