Thursday, January 6, 2011

The Friday Photo



I don't eat chicken.

That's not because I don't like it - it's my paltry (ha!) protest at the way chickens are farmed for meat in this country, and in a great many other countries - pumped full of hormones and other chemicals, kept in tiny boxes... just thinking about it can bring me to tears.

Luckily we have an organic free-range egg farm 10 minutes' drive from town. This morning I stopped by to get the weekly supply of eggs. The hens live in large fenced grassy paddocks, and are keen to come up to the fence to chat:


Ok, they're still not free - but their life-style is several million times better than that of their caged counterparts.

5 comments:

  1. That's a sad story about how they are raised over there....I would pass on chicken too, but these chickens look pretty happy! I follow a blog of a woman living in Freegrace she calls it actually Vermont, where she has named her chickens (hens) with real names like Helga after own mother, and they have a wonderful life following her around! I love the grass and lack of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen - the majority of chickens in the USA are factory farmed - there are plenty of information sources, for example http://www.idausa.org/facts/factoryfarmfacts.html. Happy chickens are in the minority, I fear :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. (These pictures remind me of the happy cow commercials.) I think many of our dietary habits, especially our meat habits, would change if we saw where our food comes from. The beginning of the year is a good time to give this some thought and make some conscious decisions for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I once worked next to a chicken processing facility. 100,000 chickens went in every day, and God knows how many chicken nuggets came out the other end.

    I came close to no longer eating chicken, and still might at some point. I'm on the fence about the impact a meat-eating lifestyle has on the planet. And on us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Things are gradually changing, thank heavens - the way pigs are factory-farmed is going to be banned here soon, and hopefully the chickens' situation will eventually be addressed.

    ReplyDelete

It's great when you leave a note!