Thursday, December 2, 2010

Books, and more books

I don't usually do memes - but I can't resist this one. It seems such a strange collection of books.
I got the list  from Ampersand Duck



"Have you read more than 6 of these books? The BBC believes most people will have read only 6 of the 100 books listed here.

Instructions:

Bold those books you’ve read in their entirety.

Italicize the ones you started but didn’t finish or read only an excerpt."

1. Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen

2. Lord of the Rings – JR Tolkien


3. Jane Eyre – Charlotte Bronte


4. Harry Potter series – JK Rowling
(have read the first 4. will read the rest... some day)

5. To Kill a Mockingbird – Harper Lee


6. The Bible


7. Wuthering Heights – Emily Bronte

8. Nineteen Eighty Four – George Orwell


9. His Dark Materials – Philip Pullman


10. Great Expectations – Charles Dickens

11. Little Women – Louisa M Alcott

12. Tess of the D’Urbervilles – Thomas Hardy

13. Catch 22 – Joseph Heller


14. Complete Works of Shakespeare

15. Rebecca – Daphne Du Maurier

16. The Hobbit – JRR Tolkien


17. Birdsong – Sebastian Faulks


18. Catcher in the Rye – JD Salinger

19. The Time Traveller’s Wife – Audrey Niffenegger

20. Middlemarch – George Eliot

21. Gone With The Wind – Margaret Mitchell

22. The Great Gatsby – F Scott Fitzgerald

23. Bleak House – Charles Dickens


24. War and Peace – Leo Tolstoy

25. The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy – Douglas Adams

26. Brideshead Revisited – Evelyn Waugh
(maybe 12 - 14 times..)

27. Crime and Punishment – Fyodor Dostoyevsky

28. Grapes of Wrath – John Steinbeck


29. Alice in Wonderland – Lewis Carroll


30. The Wind in the Willows – Kenneth Grahame

31. Anna Karenina – Leo Tolstoy

32. David Copperfield – Charles Dickens

33. Chronicles of Narnia – CS Lewis

34. Emma – Jane Austen

35. Persuasion – Jane Austen

36. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe – CS Lewis

37. The Kite Runner – Khaled Hosseini

38. Captain Corelli’s Mandolin – Louis De Bernieres


39. Memoirs of a Geisha – Arthur Golden

40. Winnie the Pooh – AA Milne


41. Animal Farm – George Orwell


42. The Da Vinci Code – Dan Brown (To my great shame!)

43. One Hundred Years of Solitude – Gabriel Garcia Marquez

44. A Prayer for Owen Meaney – John Irving


45. The Woman in White – Wilkie Collins

46. Anne of Green Gables – LM Montgomery


47. Far From The Madding Crowd – Thomas Hardy

48. The Handmaid’s Tale – Margaret Atwood


49. Lord of the Flies – William Golding


50. Atonement – Ian McEwan


51. Life of Pi – Yann Martel


52. Dune – Frank Herbert

53. Cold Comfort Farm – Stella Gibbons

54. Sense and Sensibility – Jane Austen


55. A Suitable Boy – Vikram Seth

56. The Shadow of the Wind – Carlos Ruiz Zafon

57. A Tale Of Two Cities – Charles Dickens


58. Brave New World – Aldous Huxley


59. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time – Mark Haddon

60. Love In The Time Of Cholera – Gabriel Garcia Marquez

61. Of Mice and Men – John Steinbeck

62. Lolita – Vladimir Nabokov

63. The Secret History – Donna Tartt

64. The Lovely Bones – Alice Sebold

65. Count of Monte Cristo – Alexandre Dumas

66. On The Road – Jack Kerouac

67. Jude the Obscure – Thomas Hardy

68. Bridget Jones’s Diary – Helen Fielding (blushes....)

69. Midnight’s Children – Salman Rushdie

70. Moby Dick – Herman Melville

71. Oliver Twist – Charles Dickens

72. Dracula – Bram Stoker

73. The Secret Garden – Frances Hodgson Burnett

74. Notes From A Small Island – Bill Bryson

75. Ulysses – James Joyce


76. The Bell Jar – Sylvia Plath

77. Swallows and Amazons – Arthur Ransome

78. Germinal – Emile Zola (yes, really - but only 'cos I had to, at University)

79. Vanity Fair – William Makepeace Thackeray

80. Possession – AS Byatt

81. A Christmas Carol – Charles Dickens


82. Cloud Atlas – David Mitchell

83. The Color Purple – Alice Walker

84. The Remains of the Day – Kazu Ishiguro

85. Madame Bovary – Gustave Flaubert

86. A Fine Balance – Rohinton Mistry

87. Charlotte’s Web – EB White

88. The Five People You Meet In Heaven – Mitch Albom

89. Adventures of Sherlock Holmes – Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

90. The Faraway Tree Collection – Enid Blyton

91. Heart of Darkness – Joseph Conrad

92. The Little Prince – Antoine De Saint-Exupery


93. The Wasp Factory – Iain Banks

94. Watership Down – Richard Adams


95. A Confederacy of Dunces – John Kennedy Toole

96. A Town Like Alice – Nevil Shute


97. The Three Musketeers – Alexandre Dumas


98. Hamlet – William Shakespeare

99. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory – Roald Dahl

100. Les Miserables – Victor Hugo


So... I've read rather more than 6. My mother used to read me Dickens as bedtime stories, so I guess I was programmed to read them again with great enjoyment as a teenager.  And I obviously went through a Jane Austen phase.
Of the ones I haven't read, I would have to say that none of them really appeals.

7 comments:

  1. Very nice post, and from the beginning before I saw the list I had a sense they were wrong! One of our inside cats is named Aslan, so you know where that name came from...I have read or seen the movie to pretty much every book you listed. I agree with most of the ones you didn't read like Gone With The Wind, I couldn't even watch the entire movie! I wish my mother had read to me, but I changed that with reading to my children, and which ever animal decides to come listen too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy the other things you post on your blog as well...and the book "The Road" that you mention is a must read for me to get...those few words simply music to the ears! can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh thanks Karen - your blog is amazing and I always love reading your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, 1-12 -yes. (loathe Pullman, though)
    13-no
    14 -- about half of it
    15, 16 yes
    17 never heard of it
    18 yes zzzzzz
    19 nope. don't plan to
    20 not yet
    21 nope
    22 yes
    23, 24 no
    25 yes!!
    26, 27 no
    28, 29 yes
    30, 31 no
    32 -34 yes
    35 on my TBR list
    36 - that's part of #33, so yes
    37 no, don't plan to
    38 never heard of it
    39 no
    40-43 yes
    44, 45 no
    46-48 yes
    49 ugh, no!
    50-53 no
    54 yes
    55, 56 no
    57, 58 yes
    59-66 no
    67 yes
    68 no
    69 -73 yes
    74 -never heard of it
    75 (groan) yes. hated it
    76-80 no
    81 yes
    82-86 no
    87 yes
    88 no
    89 yes, every single one of the stories and the novels
    90,91 no
    92 yes, blech!
    93-96 no
    97 yes
    98 -- which is part of #14, yes
    99 yes
    100 ugh! no!

    I think that's 48 of them, if I counted correctly.

    Thanks for this interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Karen. 'The Road' is a stunning book - but very, very bleak. You need to be in love with dystopian fiction. Which I am ;)

    @ APW - fun huh? It's really silly how Hamlet was separate from Shakespeare, etc. But you have read all of Shakespeare? I'm impressed - there are quite a few plays I've never read, and probably only read half the sonnets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, no. Notice for #14 I've marked it "about half." If you really want specifics, I've read all of the sonnets and the narrative poems, Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet (so many times I've accidentally memorized huge chunks of it -- that's what comes of teaching 9th grade so many years), Caesar, Much Ado, MacBeth, Merchant, Othello, Lear, Richard III, 12th Night, Midsummer, Antony and Cleo, Tempest, Errors, Shrew, Two Gents, Henry V, As You Like It, Measure For Measure, Henry IV part II, and The Winter's Tale. I guess that's a bit more than half. But I seriously cannot see myself reading some of those plays, like Titus Andronicus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was fun to read Alexia, and so too the Messages left by your Readers.

    I went searching through your Posts to find one which may be appropriate... I am in for quite a beautiful and interesting time I've discovered. I really do enjoy your Dreaming of Open Seas...
    I find your choice of Title interesting too... I hope along the way I learn why you chose it.

    I enjoy to read as well as to listen to Books. Audio Books open a wonderful dimension to a Story's experience.
    Sometimes I like to Read and to Listen to the same Story, just to discover how my response may vary between my eyes triggering my imagination and my ears. Interesting when both methods create similar results.

    Audio Books and the actual Book are a great way for children to follow a Story, to hear the words they are seeing, to even read along with a Narrator.
    I once sat with The Hobbit, listening to an abridged reading of it, while underlining all the linked passages in the Book. Once done, was a great way for a child to travel the Story, and also showed me the connection was happening as the pages were turned to find the next underlined connection to what was being read.

    But I stopped here originally to express thank you for your LibraryThing. I went visiting there and read and am so fully interested. I intend joining. A wonderful way to put together one's Journeys with Books.
    The Widget to then be able to include on one's Blog is a great way to simplify sharing what one has read.
    Thank you for being you Alexia, I may not have discovered the doorway to open if you weren't you.

    Films being an abstract form of books, I'll include here your mentioning of 'Animal Kingdom' as one you need to see.
    If you have not yet seen it, I do recommend it. Not because it is a nice film, and definitely not pretty... but very insightful, even if uncomfortable.
    I felt Animal Kingdom has been well made and well acted.

    Have you seen 'Inception'?
    I was stunned by the Film. I felt so pleased to have lived long enough to see such a Film.
    'Shutter Island' I put off seeing until one of my local Librarians mentioned for me to see it.
    All I will write... it is quite brilliant.

    Another Librarian also mentioned 'Babette's Feast'. A Norwegian Film I think. Beautifully poignant. Thought provokingly interesting. Well worth watching... maybe more than once.

    Good wishes from Magda in Australia

    ReplyDelete

It's great when you leave a note!