Thursday, January 12, 2017

Non-summer

We are having the worst summer I can remember for a long time. Quite often December isn't great, but usually by now it's lovely and hot, to the extent that everyone complains about the heat and the dry conditions, lots of swimming happens, and I have to walk Manu at 6 am or else it's too hot for us both.

This year the main problem has been cold winds - weeks and weeks of strong blustery winds, sometimes gale force, from the south-west. Very little rain, though.

So to cheer myself up, here's some photos from my last big trip, of a lovely hot place I went to on my last big trip to Europe, 18 months ago.





This is a beach called Nazaré, in Portugal. 
We drove up to the top of a huge bluff to see this amazing view. 
Later, down in the town, we walked along the beachfront 
until we found a good place to have lunch and a cold drink. 





 
This was the view looking the other way, 
out to the Atlantic ocean.







Even up this high, there are pigeons...




I wouldn't mind being back there now, even though the average daily temperature in January is only about 13°C (55°F).


Hope the weather's good where you are!


6 comments:

  1. We are HOT. Very hot. And, given that neurologists used to (and not that long ago) test for MS by sending people to have a sauna and confirming the diagnosis if they emerged disabled, I am not happy.
    Beautiful Portugal scenes though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of you a couple of nights ago, when the TV weather forecast included a predicted high for Canberra of 41! I do hope you are managing to stay comfortable.

      Delete
  2. I love the heat but we here in Oregon are frozen solid currently and oh how I long for summer. When summer finally comes, if it is a disappointment and rainy and miserable too, I understand why you wish the winds would be gone and to have a good summer. We dream of summer here through the long gray of winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hear on the news that you are having a very cold winter in the US, Strayer - hope you're keeping nice and warm!

      Delete
  3. Big beautiful beach, Alexia. I hope the wind gives you a relief.

    In D.C. it's unseasonably warm.

    P.S. Last year was officially the Earth's warmest since record-keeping began in the 1880s, the World Meteorological Organization announced Wednesday morning.

    That means 2016 set a global heat record for the third year in a row according to NOAA and NASA, who held a joint press conference on Wednesday to discuss the record.
    ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, thunder. Unfortunately the wind is really cold!

      I wonder if the new President will listen to the facts stated at the joint press conference...

      Delete

It's great when you leave a note!